Monday, August 19, 2013

hearing hearts

One of the most precious things about this illness has been the opportunity to hear people pray for me.  In the face of real problems and pain the masks come off.  No more trite words and glib phrases.  Prayers become distinct, one of a kind, obviously offered for me from someone who knows me and who also knows pain.  People who you never guessed cared imploring God on your behalf.  Friends -you never knew how deep their burden for you is- lifting your distress up to God.  Their hearts bleed for you and you get to listen in.  You are awed and overwhelmed and incredibly blessed by their love for you.

Just hearing their prayers brings a healing all of its’ own, and I have to cry.  Sometimes I am on the other end of the phone and so they never know that what they just asked God to give me is exactly what I’ve been needing and fighting against all this time.  Sometimes we are across the room from one another and when they finish my ‘tissue hunt’ begins and so they know.  I use to abhor crying in front of people, now I’ve decided I really don’t need to hide so much.  Sure you have to make yourself vulnerable to honestly confess your needs to someone or to really pray for someone but what do we gain by resisting this command of God?  More importantly what do we loose?  There is a fellowship in praying with someone, for someone, in finding out how much they hold in their heart for you.  As we close our time together my heart is blessed beyond measure. And then I have to wonder …why did we wait so long?

No comments:

Post a Comment